Saturday, May 21, 2016
Forming an Opportunity Belief
My Beginning Point
Every day, I work and play at the Mark Bostick Golf Course. The university golf club that hosts the Florida Gators Varsity golf team. I feel like there is an opportunity to make the course better particularly in the summer months and rainy seasons. This is due to the problems with water drainage throughout the course.
Describe your belief
The unmet needs for the issue is the fact that the golf course is losing business, and the customer is losing the opportunity to play golf at the Mark Bostick due to the course flooding frequently. The need would be directed to the Employees of the golf course, as well s the customers and players that play the course during the rainy months. The need has existed at the Mark Bostic Golf Course since before I attended the University of Florida. Right now, there is not much that maintenance is doing to solve this problem. I believe that this opportunity if extremely feasible if many of the members complain to management to get this issue fixed.
Iteration 1- Peter Matthews- Avid Golfer at the Mark Bostick
https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/iteration-1
Peter is an avid golfer at the Mark Bostick Golf Course, and share a lot of similar view points about this need as I do.
Reflection 1:
Peter plays about 5 times a week at the Mark Bostick, including hitting range balls daily. When the storms come in, the range is almost instantly flooded, and closed for a few days. This is costing Peter money as well, because he pays a semester membership that allows him to hit range balls whenever he pleases. It is reason like this one that the maintenance crew and management need to come together and have a serious discussion.
Iteration 2 - Adam Jones, pro shop manager - Mark Bostick Golf Course
https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/iteration-2
Adam is an employee at the Mark Bostick Golf Course, as well as a regular player. He notices these issues during the summer and offers some insight into why it got this way. He's been playing at the Mark Bostick for over 6 years.
Reflection 2:
Adam would know better than anyone that this issue has cost the course money. He adds that it is extremely frustrating that a few holes on the course essentially go underwater when a heavy storm comes through. This loses customers over the summer more than any other issue. He doesn't think that it would be a quick fix, and he believes the course isn't willing to spend that much money.
Iteration 3 - Sydney Burrah
https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/iteration-3
Sydney is an employee in the Snack Bar at the Mark Bostick Golf Course, and her father works for the maintenance crew. She offers some insight on why the crew can't fix the drainage as easily as we think it might be.
Reflection 3:
She had some great points on how the soil doesn't drain as well as other courses. She made another great point that Gainesville is pretty much in a swamp land, and that the entire city floods when there is a heavy downpour. She does believe that the maintenance crew could do more in fixing this issue, but she added off the recording that since they replaced the putting greens they have been more distracted about that aspect of the course.
Summary:
As I continued to dive into figuring out ways to satisfy my needs, I realized that the Mark Bostick may have much larger things to worry about than the occasional flood on the course. However, I do still believe they could do something about the drainage, which might cost a substantial amount of money. They would have to take a risk, in that this fix would bring more money to the course so that their spending would be compensated.
-Dave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Dave. Your opportunity seems like one that could impact people in a positive way. The rain is a problem for outdoor activities like golf so finding a way to still be able to play in poor conditions is a true need. I also agree with you that taking a risk to make the course playable at all times would likely bring them more money and joy to all the golfers around here; though they may have larger priorities.
ReplyDelete-Carter
You spoke to many different people who would give you different views of the situation. I could see where a business would be hesitant to spend a lot of money on something that may or may not work. If Gainesville is prone to flooding during a storm, it may be very difficult to have adequate drainage. I'm sure they would have to look at how much money would potentially come in versus how much they would have to spend.
ReplyDeleteHey David, very interesting concept you have here. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteHi David! I really like the idea you have. I think that, especially living in a place like Gainesville (a.k.a. Rainesville), there should be measures put in place to ensure that the golf course remains dry and playable during the rainy seasons. I think that you have definitely identified a really good opportunity right here in the swamp!
ReplyDeleteYour idea to fix the drain would be a great idea but it would cost a large amount of money to change all of their problem that occur. Not just for the parts but for the labor that is needed. While this is most likely a long running problem, it is all about being in budget. Their budget might not cover or chose not to cover a solution to a problem that might or might not work. Your idea to change the water problem is a necessity that would be in companies best interest but might not be on the top of their list to fix.
ReplyDeleteAs a golfer myself I have to say that there are few things more annoying than dealing with a closed course when you want to get out and play. Ive never played on the university course, but I find it odd that they would not have addressed this issue in all the years that it has been open. Even though I don't have any plans to play at the course in the near future, I think this is a great opportunity to improve University facilities and make ourselves a better institution.
ReplyDelete