Friday, May 27, 2016

Looking for Opportunity

Economic Trends

  1. The Economic Report on Climate Change- Environmental efforts can help the economy.
    1. http://2014.newclimateeconomy.report/economics-of-change/
    2. I believe that an opportunity exists by spreading the word on environmental conservation, and how spreading multiple uses of low carbon policies could offset the costs of climate action.
    3. The customer could be students entering in fields pertaining to the environment.
    4. I believe it could be relatively easy to spread knowledge around about this report, however it might be more difficult to get everyone on board in implementing proposals. 
  2. The Economic Impact on Illegal Immigration- Taking out political views, are immigrants affecting the economy positively or negatively?
    1. http://www.umich.edu/~ac213/student_projects07/global/economicimpact.html 
    2. I believe an opportunity exists by enhancing the viewpoints of businessmen to business leaders to become educated on illegal immigrants and how it really affects our economy. This would maybe help businessmen and women figure out ways to save money while hiring legal American workers.
    3. Businesses would be the primary customer here.
    4. I believe it would be extremely difficult to implement changes to systems such as this one as Americans are split by political views. Though nobody wants illegal immigrants in the US, we struggle with policies of regulation on this matter.
Regulatory Trends
  1. Apple iPhone Will Have Full Glass Casing
    1. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/05/27/apple-news-digest-glass-iphone-8-leak-prototype-ios-10/#6bd06ae33cce
    2. I believe an opportunity exists here because people either want luxury, or they want protection. I think if people were to buy this new product, protective case manufactures would be allowed to provide more competition to customers.
    3. People with iPhones would be the primary customer.
    4. This would be hard to implement, due to the fact that people will NEED cases for this fragile iPhone. This may prompt manufactures to hike up prices as customers will be willing to protect their phones at all costs. However, if more case manufactures enter the market, it could drive down prices allowing more opportunities for customers with iPhones.
  2. Regulatory Changes in Retirement Plans
    1. http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/7671-regulatory-issues-changes.html
    2. The opportunity exists by allowing more competition in retirement plans across the board, which would in term help customers who need it.Though it will be scrutinized for a lack of selection, allowing more products on the market would eventually help customers.
    3. People who are in need for retirement plans would be the primary customer. 
    4. This would be a very hard opportunity to go after, as regulatory changes such as this one usually drive customers and workers crazy. It would be difficult to get the customer to agree to the new terms of a selective plan. 
-Dave

4 comments:

  1. David,

    I think that you see a good opportunity with the phone cases. I think that Otterbox and the large case manufacturers are always a step ahead but I think that if you were to implement a new design or better protection for the phone it would be a good time to do so.

    I agree that finding a way to show business people the benefits to hiring legal immigrants and how it can save them money would be a good thing. I am not sure exactly how this is going to save them money because generally illegal work is cheaper than legal but I am interested to look more into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey David,
    Great selection of articles you have here. These are some hot topics and have opportunities tied to them. I think I went the safe rout with my articles.
    In regards to the climate change article schools may see in increase in student applications in environmental fields. With more education and studies behind these reports the harder it may be for people to ignore it.
    Illegal immigration is another touchy subject, but even though illegal immigrants work for less I feel they do not give back to the economy as much. I lack experience with illegal immigrants, but I feel if someone is illegal and getting paid under the table chances of them going out and making purchases to benefit the economy will be low. There may be a level of paranoia at hand when it comes to spending.
    I have a Galaxy so I do not fall into the IPhone market, but if I was to buy a glass phone, I would want to show it off. Could there be a protective case that still shows off the glass look of the IPhone? Personally, a person who buys a glass phone is only asking for trouble, but to each their own.
    I also noticed you used different sources for your articles. Do you feel it took much longer to finish this assignment? I did a lot of internet surfing to find my articles. I feel I found some interesting articles, but it definitely took longer than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey David,

    I think the debate over whether or not illegal immigrants benefit our economy is pretty interesting, and I agree with your view that while an opportunity may exist, it would be far too difficult to exploit. In addition to the countless regulatory roadblocks (i.e. minimum wage) and the divisive nature of the subject, I feel like it may be difficult to convince American workers to take on some of the jobs that migrant workers fill. In that same vein, business owners might not be willing to pay these workers more money to comply with existing regulations. A large-scale culture shift in this sector of the economy would be in order, and that could take years to implement.

    ReplyDelete