Saturday, May 28, 2016

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1


  1. Opportunity 
    1. The opportunity I would like to pursue is enhancing the participation of junior golfers at local golf courses to grow the game of golf. Golf courses could give special lower rates like they do now, but include other incentives to make the game of golf more fun and enjoyable. 
  2. The What, The Who, The Why- 5 Interviews
    1. Christian Bosso- UWF College Golfer   https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/20160528-221228a
      1. Who-Junior Golfers around the region.
      2. What-Enahcning the abilities of junior golfers in our local communities
      3. Why- Golf needs to grow, and the only way to do that is by getting more kids involved in the game
    2. Parker Remig-Emory College Golfer    https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/test-hypothesis2
      1. Who-Families of Junior golfers, as well as junior golfers themselves
      2. What-Making sure that kids like golf and stay with it.
      3. Why-Junior golfers are key in growing the game
    3. Peter Joe Calegerro     https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/20160521-163129a
      1. Who-Golf Courses can benefit
      2. What- Golf courses could get more memberships by enhancing and welcoming junior golfers.
      3. Why-Growing the amount of people on the golf courses and growing junior golf
    4. Daniel Schaz-https://soundcloud.com/david-mccaskill-210502474/testing-hypothesis4
      1. Who-Junior golfers
      2. What-Making junior golf more completive so they can develop a mental game
      3. Why-Growing the game of golf is important. Junior golfers will eventually grow to become the new professionals of the game. 
    5. Izy Carrithers- 5th audio recording had audio issues. 
      1. Who- People like her brother who players junior golf
      2. What-Local golf courses as well as junior golfers and parents
      3. Why-Golf is fun, but a lot of kids don't really know how to keep their kids involved 


4 comments:

  1. Hey David,
    I do agree kids these days are not attracted to the sport of golf. I feel after Tiger Woods fell off so did the interest. I see some young guys competing now so hopefully that gives the sport a boost.
    Golf is an Olympic sport this year and American success will definitely inspire others to play, especially the young kids. Golf courses should expect a spike in interest and will need to cater towards youth gold tornaments and olympic trials.
    More competitive golf tournaments and ranges for kids is a great idea. I recommend you talk to families of non golfers and see what interest they have in signing their kids up. Talk to kids too and hear what they have to say. Good luck and find out what people want to get from the game of golf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    I agree that golf does not have the attention that other sports have. I was in golfing lessons as a kid, however, it was very expensive. I think that in order to attract junior golfers it would be necessary to make it more fun and obtainable. By this I mean it difficult to for kids and families to afford clubs or the price to play regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    I am not much of a golfer so not sure if I will be much help on this one but maybe the fact that I am not a big golfer has something to do with the size of the sport. I think that finding a new role model of golf and bringing this person to kid's attention could really help increase the amount of younger people who are into the game. I also agree that if the lessons were cheaper that more kids and adults would be interested in trying it. I agree with Christian that if there was a more fun way to get kids involved it would also help. The only time I went golfing they were very serious. I understand, I like to win too, but incorporating a way to make it more fun for kids would help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey David,

    I agree that making golf more accessible should be a primary concern for country clubs and the sport as a whole. My younger brother and dad both love the sport, and I've tagged along with them to the range on a couple of occasions. However, between range fees, the varying price of playing a round at different country clubs, and the cost of equipment, the costs really add up over time. For families that don't possess the resources to back this activity, this could be a huge factor in whether or not they allow their kid to pick the sport up at all.

    While price is a huge factor, I also agree with your belief that golf courses ought to offer other incentives to make the game more appealing to juniors. Golf isn't a flashy sport, and at a younger age, kids might be more willing to try other sports that typically populate the Sportcenter Top 10. If golf courses were able to effectively market some new incentives to juniors, though, and pair it with a special pricing package, they might be able to spark some interest in the game.

    ReplyDelete